Tuesday, April 13, 2010

KT at 16 and otai-ish


Back when I have not seen the rest of the World.
It was a weekend trip to Kuala Terengganu (KT). I went there with my siblings and my dad; I don't remember why my mom didn't join us.

This story has loopholes. Mainly cause it was 7 years ago, right? Hehe.

Awi Yellow House, Pulau Duyong (Duyong Island).

This is the equivalent to a hostel. Nonetheless, I do think all the hostels I've stayed in are more elaborative than this. This place has the BASIC of everything. You walk into the small hut (as in this picture) and all you see is a double bed. That's all. Maybe a few shelves, if you lucky to get a room with it. No fans, just windows. Considering you are on an island in the middle of a river, it is quite windy and I don't remember complaining about the heat.

The room is RM15/night, murah dowh. The price could have changed over the years. There is a kitchen that you can use, a mini library, a just a few benches for you to hang out (some things might have changed since the last time I went there). Worth the money lah. I stayed in Hotel Seri Malaysia and some fancy hotel in Batu Buruk Beach (I can't recall the name) before, but I have more stories to tell about this place than the other two.

Anyways, you may not think highly of this place, but I'd say don't judge a book by its cover. This place attracts more foreigners than other places I've been in Malaysia. Ok, my memory is not that good, but I remember meeting a few Japanese here. My dad met a few more, and he even went cycling with them. I was a shy bunny dulu (Ngeee) I don't really know how to communicate with people from other countries. My dad jer semangat. They typically stayed in Terengganu for 1 month, so a RM15 room is good for their budget. Agree!


Pulau Duyong is a boat maker island!

I can't say for sure if these two were built in Pulau Duyong, but if you are here, you can just randomly walk into somebody workshop and see how it's been done. I did, but I didn't have any photo :( If I knew I'll be writing about it 7 years later, I probably would have taken the photo. Haha. From my very vague memory, it is just a open workshop. You'll see the body of the boat there. Since it's so big, you have to be on a platform to see the interior. Quite an experience. I don't know many boats made in Pulau Duyong, but I remember one boat in particular 'cause the boat docked at the yellow house and I can see it's name clearly, Burong Bahri. I actually googled it, here.
You'll find some photos of boat making as well in the website. Probably, they make miniature boat as well, that'll be cool to have :)


My dad and a local, at the jetty
I was just standing there thinking, we could have taken the car. But it's so typical of my dad making us walk to everywhere our feet can take us!


Boat. Ngee. It takes you from the island to mainland for 50 sen. Cheapos.



Daddy berbajet best with his Nikon D100. I have this camera with me right now.

Hah, he gave the camera with the zoom lens attached to it. Now I can't take "normal" photos, without being too close to it. Sigh. He said, that zoom lens is the lens he's been using all this while. Then I saw this picture, AHA! Kantoi, the lens in this photo is not the same as the one I have right now. Adoi. I'm still playing around with the camera, so, the photos are still not that good. Muahahahha.
btw, Kurus dowh my dad ;)


My brother at 14 and muka selenge. Hurm, he was carrying a Deuter 30L (or 25L) backpack and right now, I'm wondering what could he be bringing in it? Huh. Banyak nye barang...

Well, like I said my dad is big on walking, so we pretty much walked everywhere that day. It would be nice if I remember, but my memory is the worst. Fardia has a better recollection of our childhood. Haha. I remember walking all the way to some hill in the middle of Kuala Terengganu where you can see the view of whole KT from up there (equivalent: Bukit Bay Route, Kuantan). You don't need some fancy skyscraper for this ;)


A mosque. I was in a beca when I took this photo....


Terengganu Museum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but somebody told this is the biggest museum in Malaysia. I kinda like this museum. They have cool stuff in there. But don't bring big bags, they don't allow you to bring in it. We couldn't go in during this trip cause of that.

Since we couldn't go in, we hang out around the museum and saw the "outdoor" exhibition a.k.a all the boats. I remember Fardia kene gigit something....bengkak2 after that LOL


A Boat. You can actually go up and see what's onboard.
Is this a fisherman boat or what? Can't tell, but it sure don't look like it.


Onboard.


Sabar T28 boat.

I think I have to go back of the sake of completing my story ;) BTW, these photos were taken from my Fujifilm 1.3 Megapixel camera. Huh. As sad as it sounds now (that it was only 1.3 Megapixel), that camera is the BEST first digital camera anyone can have (my dad bought it for me when I was 14)!

You might be wondering, where is me?
Haha, too bad I didn't wear tudung yet back then, so I can't show you my picture. Anyways, just imagine a tomboy in a baggy tshirt, jeans, cap, Adidas sneakers, Oakley sunglass (the fancier the better!) and a backpack. I thought I was cool. Linda said I was very "otai" back then. Now, I'm "Paris" to her. LOL

OK, here me out, I must go back to complete this story! Makan part tak masuk lagi :( that's cause I don't remember. I think I had Indian food, lots of seafood and really old coffee shop. Oh the bread shop at Kampung Pulau Kambing is the best! Freshly made bread ;)
Probably you'd say, then why write this story if I don't remember most parts. Oh well, I wrote an entry for all my other trips to Orlando, NYC, California and Peru; so, this is a must as well!

So y'all, tak nak ikut?

This could be my last post before my final exams next week, unless I want to bug you with my "stress nyeeeee" post.

GOOD LUCK gators
and I'll see you when I see you.

- FZ

3 comments:

Sabrina Bolivar said...

hello there, I'm sabrina, one of Awi's grandchildren. Thank you for writing such a lovely story about the chalet!
I wonder why we didnt meet back then? I think Im exactly at your age too 7 years ago, haha.

fzrzk said...

Hello Sabrina, nice to meet you and you're welcome. I guess I was always around at the wrong time! I just went there November last year ;) The chalet is still same old same old. Just the whole Pulau Duyong a bit fancy now.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Hello Sabrina, I remember Awi when i stayed there in 1982 with Micheal Munro. I sailed on Burong Bahri. Great memories of a fantastic place and people at Pulau Duyong and the chalet still looks the same when I stayed there.