Friday, March 13, 2009

Canada and Its Multiculture Ethnicity Brag

No Jokes, I want to be critical.
Yesterday marked the end of my more than 1 months hardship (for dramatic purposes) to prepare for Culture Caravan Week at UWO. The way the organizer put it..."Dude, I'll tell you straight, it's gonna be the bomb!"

And,
That is just on paper.


Contrary to what I have instill, the event was not a success, at least in my opinion. I said so, not because we didn't get the sales that we wanted, but, it lacks dynamic. I can't imagine a university level event for something with such an important agenda can fall short. Only a few club participate, and even so, they do not put effort at all. We had a lot of things going on at our booth. We were depicted the most organized club in preparing for this, and now I see why. We had food, postcards, flags, brochures, candies, balloons and plenty more just waiting for students to approach us and learn about our culture. To my disappointment, I can actually count how many. My skeptical thoughts are already wondering, is it because we are so minor, nobody wants to learn about the Nusantara culture? Truthfully, lets face it, it happened to all clubs. Even to the Irish Club...which I expect they will soar, due to the fact St. Patrick's Day is coming up and they are selling tickets, but damn I was wrong. Somehow, I was feeling like jumping to a very bold conclusion that Canadians are not interested enough in learning about cultures that make up Canada TODAY. And by saying so, I sound judgmental and I don't want to be one because I know my friends are pretty into learning a new culture. So, screw my conclusion! It was an irrelevant, no offense trial to make sense why nobody is visiting any of the booth. Right. Nice save there.

What else is there to say, other than it was a huge disappointment on my behalf. And I do not blame anyone. It just happened that way. Maybe next time, I should have known how Western kids are like. Maybe if I hang a baju kebaya at the back, people might come over and ask what is that dress? And who know I can sell it for $100 or more. HAHA. What a way for self-pleasure.


Honestly, what flags are those? They looked so random!
Diversity to me means embracing everybody's differences and make it your own; it might caught you by surprise learning so many different cultures and be sensitive about it, but that is the beauty of it.


I don't eat bacon.
I do drink Tim Horton's and yesterday, my Timmy's coffee was BAD! Medium Regular with 1 sugar and cream...how awfully wrong can it taste? Really WRONG!
I was not impressed by this list. It shows Canada has nothing! well, apart of aboriginal history which I love so much! Say whoa to dream catcher! I got one...but it was made in China (so much for wanting to keep a piece of the aboriginal, huh). Other than that, it seems Canada is coloured by the immigrants with our colourful clothes, tasty food, beautiful dance and all that fancy things. If you are not in Canada, and you look at this list for the first time...you maybe feel sorry for me. Poor ME.

Now that is not the mind set I want to imprint in your mind.
Canada is more than that, whoever wrote it just forgot, I guess.
Let me add my Canadian experience:
  • Maple Syrup! Duh, only Canada kot that grows Maple trees; hence you see the maple leaf on the flag.
  • Bagel! You can get bagel in Malaysia, at Coffee Bean for RM13, totally ridiculous. I love toasted honey and oat bagel with plain light cream cheese. OR I would also dig in Blueberry bagel, toasted, and strawberry light cream cheese :) That bagel can make me full all night. That is the power of Carb! Whooo GO CARB~!!
  • Crazy WINTER! Who can forget that! Maybe this is a lil redundant if you want to include US as well, but dude, US punye winter MILD. Ours, Crazy with a capital C! And during winter, you get to do a lot of fun activities. Budak2 UK, dapat ke? haha. Maybe dapat, tapi bukan every week boleh pegi sebab snow limited. LOL.
  • The word Eh! Canada is so Eh!
  • Lets go the beach means lets go to the Great Lakes; therefore, don't expect salt water! Ni bukan macam Pantai Teluk Chempedak!
I do have more in my pocket...but I have to move on to the next picture!


Yey, picture of kami yang jaga booth! It looks a little messy at this time. It got better after that cause Izzy kemas! <--berpotensi nih! GRRR!!! Apelah lupa keluarkan iPod punya earphone, I looked all tangled up! and a little Gangster!

Highly edited dowh gambar2 nih. Sebab cameraku sudah tak dapat bertanding dgn kualiti gambar2 tangkap, contohnya dari camera gedabak2 macam Ariff Gemm punya. hummm. Apakah erti ayat2 ini? GO FIGURE!

Peace OUT!

ps: I just realised I made quite a few grammar mistakes in my previous post. Too bad korang, I am always too lazy to correct my mistakes. Nak comment pasal grammar salah, sila laa yer, I wont be offended...

7 comments:

Linda Anuar said...

lol... kalo ko letak seluar baju lululemon ramai kot minah2 dtg booth korang :P

fzrzk said...

haha lynn. u know western all too well now!
letak seluar cheetah ke forest ke...diorang nak dtg tak??

*rhetorical question*

Anonymous said...

it depends on which part of canada are you in! in nova scotia, diversity is what we embrace.

fzrzk said...

nice one harun.
nah ON pon ok lahh. i was just referring to the event that we had. not trying to generalize things

Anna Mohamed Amin said...

quote: "Crazy WINTER! Who can forget that! Maybe this is a lil redundant if you want to include US as well, but dude, US punye winter MILD. Ours, Crazy with a capital C! And during winter, you get to do a lot of fun activities" ---> oh! budak Russia pun dpt! hahaha! [nak jugaaaak~].. snow tak habes lg eventhough dah mid march.. can still go snowboarding kalau nak.. hahaha.. oh spring! bile mau datang?

The Soundaholic said...

Farisa! Maz here :)

Sorry to hear about the whole thing :( It's pretty sad that nowadays you get so many culture barbarians that can't appreciate these things.

I salute you on your effort :) and hope that maybe it'll turn out differently next time.

Regards,
Maz :D

fzrzk said...

hey maz. thanks for stopping by!
hehe. i think the promo was a lil off, but it's ok! tahun depan giler horror tak nk buat dah huhu.

anna: i love the winter for the activities that i will be able to do :)