Thursday, June 18, 2009

Well, Say Hello to the World

Disclaimer: This post has a message to send.
and Fudge: not necessary going to act as food in this post.

Oh fudge, I finally finished reading ONE article from NG magazine. Haha. It was from the February issue. Sadly enough, I have many more to go. Since my summer is lame and will be filled with reading and what not, I want to just share something bout the articles.

NG February 2009 issue: What Darwin Didn't Know.
When I got this issue (I subscribe the mag), my eyes were drawn immediately to the cover. What is there not to grab your slightest attention?

There were two articles talking about this, which I find rather astounding. The writer did talk about some things that were wrong in whatever Darwin was claiming. Again, I don't really think that is fair given that he didn't have the best technology and research facility that we do today. But what I like the most that was touched in the one of the two articles is how genetics and evolution are linked together. I don't know before. People actually realise this in 1930s - 1940s, approximately 70 years after Origin of Species was published. Darwin got really messed up about his theory for traits inheritance as he thought parents' traits blended together to attribute to how an organism is "formed". We know this is wrong. We now know, thanks to the "humble" (as used by the writer) Gregory Mendel, that we are made of composite results of many individual traits that are passed down from our parents, grandparents etc...hence, our ancestors. I now feel like Darwin was highly overrated. Hummm...
[from articles written by David Quammen and Matt Ridley in NG Feb 2009] <-- not the right way to cite an article.

Actually, my purpose of writing this post is not to talk about Darwin - although I mentioned how much I was drawn into the topic just at the sight of it - but, about an article that I initially thought of skipping and I ended up reading it....intensely.
Because, after reading it, I realise, we can all come together to help each other despite our odds. Heard it before? Hear it one more time.


Title: Escape from North Korea
Time and time again, the emphasis is always on the stresses in Palestine and recently, Iran. You know my stand in that. However, I've always been blinded by what is going on in North Korea. It may not sound as bad as Palestine, but the sufferings are all the same.

Not trying to be Angelina Jolie here, it's just I was given a reality check today. The story follows the lives of three struggling individuals names Red, White and Black. Of course those are not their real names. What got me moving just as I start to read was their escape route from North Korea into China. Black, for example, had to hike for seven hours in the cold mountains just to avoid any authorities and then crossed the Tumen river. That ordeal permanently damaged the nerves in his toes. Oh Fudge! Nevertheless, all three of them crossed the river to make it into China.


Who says life is going to get better over the other side? No, it is not.
The reality is, although they escaped the brutal life in North Korea, but in China, they faced a whole new problem. One is of course they came in illegally and so most of these defectors are still living in terror and forced to involve in drug dealing and selling sex. Not a life anyone would imagine. However, a man came to the rescue. A pastor from Seoul, South Korea. He became the saviour for these three individuals. He got them on an underground train for an escape plan. Even this plan does come with a perfect 10/10 risk of getting caught. The pastor told them, if police were to come on the train and check for IDs, just pretend to be in deep sleep or go to the toilet. Ouh! That's easy. The 2,000 mile train journey from Beijing to Yunnan province will then require these defectors to trek over the mountains into Laos, one hell of a treacherous hike. After all that, they got to cross the Mekong River into Thailand where they can request for asylum.

The author's journey with them took him 8 months. After that hard core months, Red, Black and White are now in Seoul, South Korea living a life ten thousand time better than they can ask for. They got to be really thankful for all help from one man. He is really a nice man.

Despite all the odds, they persever under all the circumstances that were thrown at them and with the help from the pastor, they are now fine. I highly respect that. All because of what? 'Cause grass can sometimes be greener on the other side; although you are not in your homeland anymore. You see, South Korea is just next door to North Korea, but fudge! nobody can cross the border illegally like these people did (to China) cause you will get shot. Black, White and Red had to travel all the way down to Southeast Asia, request for an asylum and then go to South Korea. One might wonder, South Korea is just next door...why the trouble? Exactly my point. The tension between, shall I say, the governments are pulling people apart just like that. Although I have to give credit to South Korea for accepting these people into their country and give them money and grant them citizenship. Again, both countries do have some things in common, and I know for sure people from both countries have relatives from the other side. It is sad why such separation can happen. I must say, I'm not well versed yet as to what the tension are between these two countries. I wikipedia-ed it and I don't really understand. All I know is North Korea is a communist country. Well, say hello to the world y'all cause I don't want to be blinded forever. Or ignorant for that matter.
[From an article by Tom O'Neill in NG Feb 2009 issue]




7 comments:

alrashid said...

apa kata awak update blog awak hari2...supaya bila saya dtg opis pg2 buta nie...ada lah benda utk dibaca...

fzrzk said...

aww. hari2 pon tak tahu dah mende nak tulis. so far, if i observe something, then i will write about them :)

Annas Aziz said...

apa kata kalau ko tulis pasal rokok...baik dan buruk rokok. rokok dan implikasi terhadap awek, rokok dan basikal etc2.

aku rasa aku jer yang tulis pasal rokok kot nanti...

fzrzk said...

rokok laa pulak. weyy serious habes isu2 yang diketengahkan...
saye nak gak tulis pasal handbag ke ape ke

alrashid said...

sibuk jer budak tuh! cuba tulis pasal konsep dosa dan iblis. dan juga "my friend's sexual orientation"! kan best topic tuh! mu apa kabo farisa? den rindu kat mu ah! (saya straight, ada budak tu berliku-liku jln dia)

Annas Aziz said...

owh, dah pandai main fitnah skang eh?
takpa, ada ubi ada batas, ada ubi ada kentang.

fzrzk said...

oi korang ni perang dunia nombor brapa kat sini?

haha, saye baik harun. takpe2 lagi sebulan kite akan jmpe! excited nye!
tak reti sgt eden berbicara pasal perkara2 begitu. itu eden kene kaji lagi mendalam supaya info2 tepat.

annas, nggak ku sangka kamu berliku2 dan bersiku2 ala2 buah ciku