Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ahli Kajibumi Bergaya

"Why do you want be a geologist?"
I was asked once by a dear friend. We were sitting by the beach on a starry and cloudless night. I answered him by saying, "cause I want to know what happened just by looking at them. See the rocks over there? (pointing to the headland) I want to know what happened to those rocks and how they formed just by sitting here staring at them."

Yeah. I still didn't know how they form to them until today.

And, the statement up there is just .... over-reaching!
I know now you don't just sit/stand from a distance and BOOM! you got the answer. Apadaaaa....But you go out in the field, work your magic and get the answers (maybe after so many years of research)

The thought of getting it is just exciting. However, my case is slightly different cause if you ask me...what magic huh? Yeah. I find I'm a book smart but not a street smart. You can throw me books, I will read them and try to understand them all...and later memorize them for exams; but in the field, I forgot most of them. So, most of the time...I just shut up. Sometimes, I knew it, just the thought of "I might be wrong" is lingering in my head that I just, again, shut up. Hurm. I hate when I'm a good student, but not good enough, cause what ultimately matters is how you can apply your knowledge to real world stuff. Heh.

Well, I'm happy to say, now I'm getting better. I might have the passion and the "book-knowledge" on all these stuff, but that is not enough. Go get down dirty in mud and friends and really test your knowledge folks!

Actually what I want to say here is...I love fieldtrips, that's all And I love the fact I'm no longer looking like an idiot standing close to the prof/TA/guest guide just to write down EVERYTHING he/she says so that my note is complete; now I am actually contributing towards the understanding and the interpretation of whichever outcrop we are at. That feels good. And it's a teamwork thing :) Oh, and I love to sketch what I saw. (hehe, I got compliments too!)


Just out of boredom. Cape Forchu in both pictures.
I drew the one on the right 'cause I love the left picture so much!


....
Why this post? you might ask. (so many why(s) tonight!)
cause, I just got back from a field trip! Haha, and I never expressed how much I love it, so I thought I should :)

Today's field trip was so different to me. Cause it was a trip for a second year course which I took 2 years ago. I just wanted to join, for fun. We went to a quarry in Georgetown and then to Hamilton. Well, it feels weird + awesome to be so "senior" cause I know this stuff, but I can't answer them since I should give the second years the chance to figure it out themselves. At one point, the prof said "I want somebody else other than Farisa to answer." I felt bad...cause it is not my time to shine. I should have done it 2 years ago! Nevertheless, I had fun. Mainly cause I'm not being graded haha, so technically I don't even have to take notes. But taking notes and sketching are in my nature lol, so I did it anyways.


And this time, I don't feel lame carrying a huge notebook around when everybody else has a field book :( (I bought that big notebook cause it was made from recycle paper, trying to be green here!) I got a Rite in the Rain Field book from Neil so I used that. Waterproof buku dongg. It's a really cool book. In it, there is a scale bar, geological time scale, some basic rock identification and lots more. Worth buying it! Approximately $18.
Komen tak bersyukur: Now dah guna buku nih, dah rase cool...tapi di hati masih suka buku besarrr rrrrrr rrrrr!!


Clinton Group. Part of Niagara Escarpment
Dominated by limestone


Cool thing to have:
There a lot more cool stuff for fieldtrip, but lets just say pouch is the coolest...

Rite in the Rain Cordura Pouch
Fits your field book (any standard size) and pens.
I also put my swiss army knife and camera in it ;)
$24 dongg. Go buy a belt for it.



Well, it's not mine actually :(
It belongs to Lilliana (on my left). I just used it to put my stuff. This is not from today, but from my Maritimes field trip last September! *my huge notebook is in Joel's bag (on my right)*


I would prefer this to the cordura pouch since this one can carry a water bottle.
From MEC, $22


Semoga terhibur gators sekalian :)
See yahh

FZ


No comments: