Tuesday, March 4, 2008

First Convention in my life!!

oh wow!! I dont recalled going to any convention ever in my life! I know I've been to my dad's conference but hey, that doesn't count what so ever. So yesterday was the first time I went to a converntion. and I gotta tell you...it was freaking exciting!

:)

PDAC 2008 International Convention, Trade Show and Investor Exchange is the name of the convention. My initial intention going there was of course to get a job for the summer; however, after a few serious thoughts, I postponed the idea to next year. So, yesterday was more like asking the companies' rep what do they looked for in a candidate. It was nice to actually meet actual people in the business and get to know what exactly they are looking for. Judging from my conversation with these people, I sensed only one thing. I'm not ready for a summer job yet. So, I made the right choice of getting a job next year. It's all about getting informations, see what's the prospectus of this industry, listen to stories and look at some pictures! There are hundreds of mining company that show up! I hardly have the time to even finish the ones I planned to go. I think I get enough infos for next yr!

What I found was that being a second year student, there are still some courses that u lacked of especially if I wanna work in the Diamond companies. I would need serious crystallography courses and some GIS I think. Right now, what I have is soooo basic and after third year, I will be more prepared. Plus, I do not have any working experience before and there is one guy that told me that could be tough. I know that's for sure, so I will figure out something. Aunty Lina has agreed to give me n Izzy a job in September, hehehehe.... so I got that one sort out. I realised from yesterday how important it is to be very prepared to become a geologist. Like seriously, u have to be! especially mentally strong! From a female drilling expert I was talking yesterday, she said she had a hard time at first, working for very long hours, and it's everyday! Although the pay is good, but she has some sacrifices that she has to make. I know that's for sure, especially when I want to work outdoor. But isn't it more interesting to work outdoor? I absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. But, tak nak laa ckp besar cos I dont want it to hit me big time in the future. lol :P. It's challenging~!! I have to give them all a big respect, it's not easy. Sometimes, it's not about the money anymore. I dont want that someday in order to reach some points in my career, I have to make huge sacrifices, cos later in the day, what's most important is that I'm happy. Truthfully, I'm not regretting this, dont get me wrong. But I just want to remind myself, kerja tu kerja jugak....tp dont over do it. cos nanti I will get wrinkles faster than I should! hahaha.

Everybody had to wear suit yesterday. Dressed formal folks! I havent done that in ages! It's nice to see my friends all looking so dressed up. Rather than just jeans n t-shirt everyday. I have to give credits to the guys. They definitely shocked to me! hahaha. cos I'm so used to see them in jeans, but yesterday, they even had ties on! yey!! matthew looked so drop dead gorgeous! crush man, crush! izzy mesti tgh sigh. hahaha. he looked soooo different from the first time I saw him. oh dear! yea, as for me, I was all black~ cropped blazer, satin top and black pants. hehe. and I wore my high heels. It was just a 2 in heels but I still feel the pain! It's crazy what people would wear to look pretty. it's ok, I got compliments :) I wore that heels for more than 12 hours, hurmmm...I must say, I am pretty darn impressed with myself. Izzy had a 4 in heels kot. very very thin heels. I can see from her face AND walk, that she is "suffering". hahaha. u know what's funny? it's when we stand next to each other in the washroom and I was comparing myself to her, darn she looks sooo tall and I looked so tiny! gile ah. with that heels, Izzy became 5ft8in. wow!

ok ok, I have more boring story...lol

so, my prof told me that, "the highlight of the convention is at 5pm, where u get to meet so many people and do some networking". I was like, "yey, we can talk, ask opinio, hear first-hand experience etc". I went to Fairmont Royal York Hotel for the networking session.... btw, I gotta tell u this. This hotel is by far, I do mean by far (darab laa 1000kali) better + cantik-er + luxurier than any 5 star hotels I've been to in Malaysia!! OMG!! I was soo impressed by everything!!!!!!!!!!! exterior cantik, interior cantik, semua lahhh! nothing so far can compare to this. seriously! the hotel lobby is sooo crowded with people from the convention, I can already picture myself living this kinda luxury life. hahahaha. kidding, I will be too kedekut to spend at some fancy hotel. OK, back to the story....so I went to Jasper Room. WOW, to my surprise....it was fulled with my profs and friends. Hek eleh... I thought they invited people from the industry. But nevertheless, it's a good way to catch up with ur profs and other profs that u might end up in their class next year. Somehow, I didnt stay. I had a drink, soft drink mind u, had some salmon, cracker n cheese, talked to some friends and left. The diet coke I had in one tall glass with lots of ice is 5.50dollars. haha mmg giler hotel 5 bintang. By the time the Dean is giving out his speech what-so-ever, the tiny room was already sooooo crowded! so I decided to skip the networking session and go have dinner instead. I was frustrated with the whole networking thing. And it's definitely my fault. Maybe I should be polishing more on my "social and conversation skills" cos I'm darn bad at it~!!

Whatevs, my friends got a little tipsy from all those wine, beer etc...
The bus was soo noisy with them singing and giggling etc...
haihhhh...

Oh what a day it was...

7 comments:

Annas Aziz said...

PDAC tu dah start ker? I thought of going too, tp bukan kena ada resume atau cv ker? byk my seniors have to do that. macam malas jer.

3rd year working, hehehe, something happened to us recently, that made me and harun think quadruple-triple-twice nak kerja in 3rd year. hahaha.

fzrzk said...

hehe. definitely worth it pegi sana. mmg kene ade resume, it will be better if u have business card.

ape yg terjadi annas??

Ariff Shazwan said...

korang ni semangat btul nak keje ek... huhu.. mmg laa best kalau dpt keje kat engineering company ni..

tapi probnye ngan kat alberta ni.. antara requirement nak kerja ngan company2 ni ialah kena ada driver's license.. kena ada kereta laa maksudnye...

how can we do that kalau allowance pun xcukup nak hidup?

hurm ak akn pikir keje ngan big companies IF petronas naikkan allowance.. so i can have the start money to do all this things...

fzrzk said...

ariff, it's all about having the right experience once u get into the working world. so this is my opportunity. like seriously it will help me alot later. i need to matured myself

anyways, that is weird...why would u need a driving license? sini tak payah. u dont have to work in alberta. go seek work at some other province. u can go jalan2 too :)

Ariff Shazwan said...

haha..yakin je
kalau pergi other province..
kena cari tempat nak stay lagi..
the cost naik lagi..

anyway the cost of living in province of alberta is triple times the cost of living in texas.. baik ak duduk texas je kalau camtu.. durhh

and i've decided to convert my license from malaysia to canada... wohOoo...this september baru nak apply for the test.

Anonymous said...

yg ia nya...third year nak cari summer job yg ada kaitan ngan geology mmg melepas...baru saja talk ngan student advisor dan saya baru sedar yg saya takkan graduate in 4 years kalo saya amik 5 courses each sem...mmg tak cukup utk habis...memandangkan mcm tuh, summer 3rd year kene ar amik banyak courses utk abiskan elective courses nyer section...maka mmg confirm tak kejer...but jd RA...is the best job ever...jd lah tuh...

harun

fzrzk said...

bukan ke tempat tinggal provided? haihh this is weird. the ones i know semua mcm provide tpt tinggal. pegi keje je. huhu.

anyways, to harun. i pity u. sorry yer. i'm taking 5 courses per semester tp akan smpat habes semua bfore grad. mengape kamu takkan smpat? hummm... RA tu menarik. saye n izyan pon berhasrat dulu nak jadi soph. tp since duduk suite style ni takde RA or soph. maka, tak dpt lahhhh... u sure look like having a great time becoming a soph