Friday, April 4, 2008

It can go either way

Oh my! I've just finished watching American Idol. Michael John is SOOOO good this week! I normally prefer David Cook and Carly Smithson, but this week, hands down it goes to Michael Johns. Blazing, molten HOT! (quoting Randy Jackson here man!)

Well, now I can relax, cos the stress is all out! Done with my final lab exam and the Poster! The lab final was disastrous by the way, but I'm gonna enjoy this moment anyways. The poster was brilliant! I had what I want, I got good responses and best part is, I didn't stutter at all during the entire presentation. My research is on Paleoclimate, which is the studying about the climate of the past thousands of years. I kinda like the way I ended it, since I have to do the conclusion, and I said "Earth can go either way now, either glaciation period (with the Younger Dryas event) or a global warming (with the Storegga submarine landslide event); hence the title for our presentation: Fire or Ice?". Darn, I love the ending cos it pretty much summarizes all our topics and bring it back to what we want to enforce that is whatever happened in the past, could occur again in the future. But somehow, Neil loves the other group's title (yea, there are 2 groups doing Paleoclimate): Running with Scissors. Bummer! Oh, if u dont understand what I'm saying, u kinda have to ask me :P


I don't care, I still wanna talk bout my poster, cos I'm darn proud of it. Staying up until 4am, and sometimes 3am working on it is all worth it! Despite the MAJOR dissapointment with the Lab Final last night which I dont bother talking, TODAY I can finally say, this poster alone put a smile on my face at least for this weekend!


We (me, Izzy and LP) were brainstorming each other topic when I kinda told them that the first part that I already did has a comic font, and it looks so out of place. And suddenly LP came up and say, "or we could have a comic theme for our poster. that would be creative". Well, Neil kinda ask us to be creative though. And so, we did all we could to "understand" comic since I dont read comic seriously. I only read my brother's comics which are dragon ball and smthing bout wolverine. Other than that, NOPE! and so, we had to do a lot of downloading, especially the FONTS! oh! that's my new thing, downloading cute, fierce whatever fonts!


So, u know I like to keep every moment "intact", so I took pictures of the process. It's not lame, thank you.





The layout was drawn by Izzy and this is how it initially looked like. Izzy did an amazing job! SOO proud of her. And since we are using my laptop, I have to do all the organizing parts, which I dont mind although that would mean I will spend the most time. The poster's template is 60inX30in and so, as u can see, it is so hard to place things. And since my mouse is broken, I have no choice but to rely on my touchpad mouse. Susah laa juga, but it's possible. Can't tell u how bad I was all the nights cos I just couldn't stop swearing if I did smthing wrong that would cost me even more time.




60% done. But it has A LOT of text and Neil doesn't want that! And we have not added our comic strips yet. This is the worst part cos u wanna edit all this and make it as concise as possible, tough chance man, but it's possible *again*


All DONE!! Happy! But we had a problem converting it to pdf. I was so frustrated cos if it couldn't be saved as pdf file, I can't use the fancy fonts and so that means all the hard work goes into the sink. I was so mad! but, Yahoo Answer gave me the help that I need and so, now I know how to do it. Oh, man, that was a HUGE relieve!!




The printed and ready product. Nampak kecil kan... but wait...



The size of the poster relative to me....! (Annas, pay attention! lol :P) It's huge! and it's 6ft by 3 ft. Oh, I was just so happy at this time, although it was after the disastrous final lab. I dont even have any mood to rehearse that night. LP was just lying on the couch. Oh my!


Oh wow, we got excellent reviews from ppl, even asking "do u use some special software to do this?". We just thought we had to stand out a little bit cos there are 2 groups doing the same topic. Glad we took this approach althought I think ppl was shocked to see the finish product. I think some thought it was a little bit childish and it could not possibly be presented on a conference (this is what Neil is trying to emphasize, "I want u to experience what ppl do in Poster conference with new findings and all"). I hope nobody thinks like that :P


So folks, hope u like it too! If u have a poster to do, now u know who the master is!

And Leah gave me an amethyst keychain. She bought it at ROM. A place Mubeen would know so well!! lol :P

Ok, I will leave u with this cool picture...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

poster yang cantik farisa...dan sudah pasti isinya bagus...klu dpt bace lagi best haha..post to ottawa bleh?=)

gud luck final k..salam=)

fzrzk said...

thanks baim! jarang skali kamu lawat blog saye!

poster tu dah jatuh ke tangan profesor

Anonymous said...

waaaa....tak terkata lawa gilerr!!teach me later k?

fzrzk said...

ek...sape ni? tak tahu nama, mcm mana nak ajar?

Annas Aziz said...

hahahaha. yess farisa, relative to the poster you look cute now. (actually forgot sebenarnya pasal gurauan farisa kelihatan *hmmm* relative dengan apa ek? lupa)

my poster for paleo course last sem, hampeh gila, compare to your's. and my presentation (sorang2), macam dah ke mana ntah time tu, sedar2 jer presentation dah abis. hahaha.

fzrzk said...

huhu. since ur last comment pada kad bday yg besar tu berbau2 geology yg berkaitan dgn relative size...saje je sakat dgn picture poster tuh.

well, i love presentation...only when i feel so prepared. and i was that day. sbb tuh rase mcm nak terbang bile dah habes...

Anna Mohamed Amin said...

telur ade kembar kat dlm.. huhuhu..

fzrzk said...

cool kan??
that box of telur i bought has so many kembar egg yolk. i just wonder why?? lol
if the telur were to get hatch, will there be 2 chicks? hummm

Anna Mohamed Amin said...

or maybe.. satu badan 2 kepala?? huhuhu.. freaky!!

fzrzk said...

ok...dont even wanna think about that! babe, u have a blog eh. sweet! nanti i tgk2 jugak!

Annas Aziz said...

lol. lupa~